English and Media Studies
English is an exciting subject that lets students explore the world through literature, poetry and through many forms of writing and speaking. The skills students learn in English are vital for all their other subjects and for almost every career they might pursue.
The English department is one of our largest departments, with a track record of delivering excellent exam results (above the national average) each summer.
How we deliver English:
- Years 7 and 8 all have four lessons of English per week.
- Years 9 and 10 have four lessons of English per week. Those choosing to take an option in Media Studies have two Media Studies lessons per week.
- Year 11 have five lessons of English per week. Those choosing to take an option in Media Studies have two Media Studies lessons per week.
The English department is made up of a large open learning zone surrounded by 11 classrooms in the newer part of the building. In addition, Media Studies lessons take place in our dedicated Media suite, and English teachers often make use of our large and well-stocked library, which can comfortable accommodate a whole class. Our professional theatre is also used by our English department to bring the curriculum to life.
What our students study:
Our roadmap for Key Stage 3 – what students study between Year 7 and Year 9
The links below explain what knowledge, understanding and skills students learn about in each subject, as well as how they are assessed.
Qualifications delivered by the English Learning Zone:
- GCSE English Language (AQA)
- GCSE English Literature (AQA)
- GCSE Media Studies (OCR)