Expressive Arts (Art, Drama, Music and Photography)
The expressive arts subjects explore exciting and important ways of developing self-esteem and self-expression, as well as empathy with others.
- In Art, students learn about different cultures of the world and think about their own identity through exploration of natural forms, portraiture, architecture and more.
- In Drama, students learn about characterisation, interpretation of text and various approaches to structuring drama work.
- In Music, students gain experience of listening and appraising, performance, composition and group work. They learn to compose and perform in a variety of musical genres.
- In Photography, students learn to master camera and editing techniques, and apply these to topics including portraiture and movement.
How we deliver these subjects:
- Year 7 and 8 have one lesson per week of Art, Drama and Music.
- Students who choose to take options in Art, Drama, Music or Photography have two lessons per week in those subjects.
Students benefit from amazing facilities in the Expressive Arts, including:
- well-equipped art rooms with natural light provided by our specially designed skylights
- a Media Suite for digital art and photography
- a versatile drama studio space and professional theatre with tiered seats – both the studios and theatre include LED lighting and modern sound systems
- music classrooms including ensemble spaces, a music technology lab and seven instrument practice rooms
We are a partner of MyHub – the music education hub for the City of Manchester. Music Education Hubs develop a range of partnerships with schools, families and diverse cultural organisations to deliver a wide set of music education opportunities for all children and young people.
What our students study:
The links below will open a PDF file which explains what knowledge, understanding and skills students learn about in each subject, as well as how they are assessed.
Qualifications delivered by the Expressive Arts Learning Zone are:
- GCSE Art and Design (AQA)
- GCSE Art and Design – Photography (AQA)
- GCSE Drama (OCR)
- GCSE Music (WJEC-Eduqas)
- BTEC Music (Edexcel)