Free school meals & the pupil premium
Which pupils qualify for free school meals?
Your child may be eligible for free school meals if you receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (as long as you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on
- Universal Credit
What are the benefits of claiming free school meals?
School meals are a good way to ensure that your child eats well at lunchtime, and they can also save you time and money.
Claiming free school meals also helps the school. We get extra funding, known as the ‘pupil premium’, for every eligible pupil who is registered.
What is the pupil premium?
The pupil premium grant is funding provided to schools to help all pupils reach their full potential, regardless of their background or financial situation.
Pupils may be eligible if they:
- Are registered for free school meals
- Have been registered for free school meals at any point since May 2010
- Are, or have been, in care
- Have parents in the armed forces
How is the pupil premium funding used?
The pupil premium is not used to pay for school meals. Schools use the funding to improve the attainment of pupils who are eligible.
You will find more information about how we use our pupil premium funding in the documents below.
How can I ensure the school gets the funding?
The more eligible pupils that are registered for free school meals, the more funding the school receives.
Registering does not mean your child has to take up free school meals if they don’t want to.
You should still register for free school meals even if you would rather your child had a different meal, such as a packed lunch.
Where to go for more information
Contact the academy
If you have any questions about free school meals or would like help with completing the online form, please speak to Mrs Moulton on Student Services – 0161 795 3005.
The government’s website has information about who is eligible for free school meals, as well as information on how to apply – https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals. You can also read further information about the pupil premium at the following link – https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pupil-premium-information-for-schools-and-alternative-provision-settings.