Welcome to new students joining us in September
Today (Friday 1 March 2019) children in Year 6 and their families will be receiving letters from Manchester City Council, confirming which secondary school they have been given a place at.
I am delighted to write to families who will be joining our academy community in September. I know from my own experience of going through this process that you will have many questions about what happens next, which I will attempt to answer below.
There may also be families reading this who are disappointed that they have not been given a place at our oversubscribed academy. Appeals against places need to be made with Manchester City Council – please visit their website at https://www.manchester.gov.uk/admissions for details.
Get ready for September by downloading our My Ed app for your Apple or Android phone. In September, it will start showing you your child’s details.
For those joining us, we will be writing to you in the next few weeks to congratulate you and to talk you through the next steps. In summary:
- We will be asking you to contact the academy to let us know if you accept the place you have been offered – please contact Mrs Atkinson on 0161 300 5900.
- We will work with our feeder primary schools to support the smooth transition from Year 6 to Year 7, and to understand any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- We will invite your child to three Transition Days on Monday 2, Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 July. On these days, we will be asking you to drop off your child (in their primary school uniform and trainers) for 9am, and collect them at 2.10pm. Lunch will be provided. During these days we will also arrange an after-school information session for parents.
- In late June/early July we will organise a Saturday session where we can provide uniform and also speak to all families about the key things you need to know. Please note that at this time, your child’s blazer and tie will be provided for free, but you will need to purchase your child’s PE kit and you can choose to purchase optional items (jumpers and sports leggings). Only cash payments can be taken at this time.
- Over the summer holiday we will be open for uniform collection and purchases. You should call reception (0161 795 3005) to check our opening times before you come.
- In September, we welcome Year 7 on the first day of term (Wednesday 4 September) in a special welcome assembly. The other year groups will join us later in the day.
- During the first week, we will provide you with your ParentPay login (for online lunch and uniform payments) and Class Charts details (to view your child’s rewards and behaviour logs). Please note that we cannot provide these until your child is officially on roll – for the first few days we ask that your child comes in with a packed lunch or cash to pay for lunch.
I hope you will find the information on our website helpful in getting to know us and our ways of doing things. In particular you may wish to visit our pages on:
- Term dates and holidays
- Lunch menus, prices and payments
- Absence procedures
- What we ask of our students
I look forward to meeting you soon.