Welcome to our new students joining us in September
We are really looking forward to meeting our new Year 7 students, joining the academy in September 2021. We know that COVID has disrupted many of our usual induction activities, but we are working hard to make our new students feel welcome and excited about starting secondary school.
First day of school for new Year 7 students:
Tuesday 7 September, 8.30am start.
* Years 8, 9, 10 and 11 will start later in the week
On the first day of school, students should arrive around 8.15am – 8.20am so that they are in good time for a prompt 8.30am start. There will be lots of staff around to welcome students and show them where to go, so please don’t worry.
The first day will be an induction day for Year 7 only – other Year Groups will start later in the week. This will give Year 7 time to gain confidence in the school.
Please note that we are a very large school on a small road, and as the other students return it will get extremely busy. We advise you and your child to walk or cycle to school if possible. If you must drive, please consider stopping some distance awayl to keep traffic around the school to a minimum. This will ensure the safety of our students as they arrive and leave each day.
Being ready for the first day
Please ensure your child has the right uniform. Please note that we have slightly changed our uniform policy in two ways.
- Following feedback, we are now allowing Muslim students to wear a plain white or black head scarf.
- We have also indicated that skirts should now be pleated, plain black and knee length (touching the knee cap when standing). Please note that skirts must not be straight or stretchy/lycra material and that trousers must not be slim/narrow fit or jean-like in their appearance.
We would advise parents and carers to look through our uniform guidance, especially regarding shoes, jewellery and make-up.
Thank you to all those parents and carers who have collected your child’s free blazer and also bought PE kits from the academy. If you are yet to collect these branded items, please make an appointment to do so by calling 0161 795 3005 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your child will need a pen, pencil and ruler every day.
Virtual Parents’ Evening explaining our Transition arrangements
Principal Mr Beard and Assistant Vice Principal Ms O’Connor have put together a presentation for parents and carers, which you can watch below.
Asymptomatic Test Centre at Co-op Academy Manchester
The government has asked secondary schools to offer all students two lateral flow COVID tests as students return to school. At the academy we have been used to administering this for our students, but we realise that our new Year 7s will not have taken part in testing in school before.
- The purpose of these tests is to detect any asymptomatic cases of COVID-19 and to help stop the spread of the virus.
- These tests will only be carried out with the consent of parents and carers, and results would be shared with parents and carers.
- Students will swab themselves, but they will be supervised to do so by our staff who will help them with the process.
- Students will be invited to take two tests, 3-5 days apart. For Year 7, these are scheduled to take place on Monday 6 September (where students will come in for tests and then return home) and the second test on Thursday 9 September (where students will be taken out of lessons).
Please complete the consent form letting us know if you would allow your child to be tested.
Arrangements for Year 7 testing on Monday 6 September.
Students are not required to wear their uniform when they come in on their testing day appointment. Students will enter the site via a different way on this day. You child will enter and exit the test centre via gate 6 (opposite Plant Hill Park) and walk down the long road to the sports hall, where tests will take place. They will return via this road. Parents and carers are welcome to wait at the gate 6 car park for their child.
Please send your child in according to the timetable below. This will help us keep students spread out.
|12noon||Surnames beginning A-C|
|12.30pm||Surnames beginning D-G|
|1pm||Surnames beginning H-L|
|1.30pm||Surnames beginning M-O|
|2pm||Surnames beginning P-S|
|2.30pm||Surnames beginning T-Z|
You can find out more about our test centre on this page.
We hope your family has a relaxing and enjoyable summer. We know that moving to secondary school can be a challenge, but we really look forward to meeting your child and we will work hard to help them settle into academy life.
In September your main points of contact will be your child’s Learning and Pastoral Support Officers (LPSOs – who act as heads of year) – Ms McClean and Mr Poole. In addition, Mrs Baldwin is the Assistant Vice Principal for Year 7.
In the meantime, you may wish to explore our Transition website with your child at transition.cam.coop where you can meet our teachers, take a Minecraft tour of the school and more!
Once your child arrives, we will start messaging you via our messaging service and we urge you to download the MyEd app now – this reduces the cost of our messages to you and also lets you message the school back.
Best wishes from everyone at Co-op Academy Manchester