If your child is absent from school please call 0161 795 3005 before 8.30am.
Research shows there is a link between the amount of time a student takes off school, and how well they do in their exams. We have a very high attendance target of 98% for our students.
Being on time for the start of the academy day
- All students should arrive on the academy site by 8.20am. (Don’t forget – students are welcome to have a free breakfast from 7.45am).
- Any student arriving between 8.30am and 9.15am will be marked as late.
- Any student arriving after 9.15am will be marked as Unauthorised Late; this is when the academy closes its register.
- All students arriving late will make up the time by attending a 30 minute detention at the end of the academy day. Letters and text messages will be sent out informing parents/carers of their child’s lateness.
- Should your child be too ill to attend the academy, please contact us on the first day of absence before 8.30am on 0161 795 3005. Please keep us informed of your child’s progress.
- The academy has a right to request evidence of illness or appointments in order to authorise any absences. This can include the academy medical card stamped by your GP, or a letter from your GP/medical centre. If we do not receive evidence, the absence will not be authorised. These cards can be obtained from the Attendance Team or you can download and print your own.
- If a child is absent and we do not hear from you, we will contact you to ensure your child is safe. In some circumstances we will make home visits.
Please note that medical appointments are still absences.
Medical appointments will affect your child’s attendance percentage if taken during school hours.
Every effort should be made to arrange appointments outside of school hours. We do appreciate that on occasion this will be unavoidable.
Students should attend school before and after their appointment. Most appointments do not justify a full day’s absence from school.
Whilst the academy embraces all faiths and cultures we also recognise the importance of education. Wherever possible we will try and accommodate all religious celebrations within our use of the flexible working day and prayer rooms. However, as with all leave of absence requests, these must be applied for in advance to the Principal. Absence without authorisation on these occasions may result in legal action.
Holiday leave in term time
The academy closes for 70 days of holidays each academic year and we expect all parents/carers to take their family holidays whilst the academy is closed. Any parent wanting to take their child on a leave of absence from the academy should inform the Principal in writing, giving at least 10 days notice. The application will be looked at on an individual basis and you will be informed by letter of the outcome. However, it is highly unusual to grant a leave of absence during term time. Any holiday or leave taken without permission from the Principal will be unauthorised and legal action will be sought from the Local Authority.
The academy works with students and their parents/carers when we have a concern over attendance. Persistent absence is when:
- a student has below 91% attendance
- a student has 3 days absence or 6 sessions (half days) in a 30 day period
Where we have concerns about your child’s attendance, you will be asked to attend a meeting with the Attendance Manager, LPSO or the Principal.
Penalty Notice Warnings are issued to parents/carers after 5 sessions of unauthorised absence
For full information please read our Attendance & Punctuality Policy